Tuesday, November 15, 2011

"Today My Life Is Enough Just The Way It Is...And It Is Mine"

I had a really, really difficult day at work today. Something pretty awful happened.

And yet, something else happened today that was very positive, even extraordinary. Basically, I got through the horrible thing at work knowing that as horrible as it was, I was going to be okay. And I knew that I would be okay mostly because of today's reading from Anne Wilson Schaef's book Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much. I read it before I went to work, knowing what was likely to happen at work today, and I kept thinking about it as the day unfolded. Here it is:

How wonderful that we not only have the opportunity to live our lives, we have the opportunity to accept them! We have spent so much time and energy foolishly fighting things that we cannot change and butting our heads up against steel-reinforced brick walls that we have not stopped to ask ourselves if this is the hill we want to die on.


Part of learning to live our lives is developing the ability to accept what cannot be changed and learn to live creatively with those situations. Also, we need to discover what can be challenged and to move forward with courage when necessary. Acceptance is not resignation. Acceptance is serenity embracing life.

I was laid off today. But I am going to be okay.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, you will be all right, with your attitude it should turn out ok. That’s a strong reason to be proud of yourself. I send energy and positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you got laid off. I'm not usually one of the people that spouts the "If God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window" (Is that even correct?) because I don't believe that God has anything do with it. I just like the sentiment of that statement. As weird as this sounds,the few times where I've had job/career changes whether my choice or not (I've had about 7 jobs in my life so far), I've looked back and thought "thank goodness that happened".

    Look at this change in your life with the promise of the possibility that something even better is waiting around the corner.

    hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to agree with Jenni -- it's never easy when presented with something unexpected as a layoff. But what I’ve learned about you Dawn from your blog is that you weren’t (still aren’t) in recovery to go back to work you are in recovery to embrace who you are and recognize and embrace the fact that you’re beautifully human. I’m so sorry that this has happened ….but I know you’ll be rise above it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, big hugs. I've been there and know how that is. Stay positive and look for ways to turn this into something better. A lot has happened to me in the last two years (the anniversary of my layoff is in 10 days) and even though there has been stress, there has been a lot of positive too.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how long it has been since I've blogged - and Woshushi - I have been meaning for ages to say thank you so much for your comment. I am doing great...now.

    ReplyDelete