Wednesday, February 2, 2011

This Writing Every Day Thing is Tough

Some days I got nothing.

Still, I am committed to blogging each and every day so for tonight, I thought I would share the original version of what most of us program people know as "The Serenity Prayer." I've recited the shorter version often since I learned it so many years ago, but what follows is the longer original prayer written by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971).

God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
Courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the Wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.


Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.

I am not a religious person, but I love prayers. It must be something about ritual for me.

Going forward, my evening blogging  ritual will be about writing original material. But I am not there, so just for today, I'm going with Reinhold's prayer. Blessings on the lot of you. Meet you back here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment