Sunday, January 30, 2011

The feeling of Sunday is the same everywhere, heavy, melancholy, standing still. ~ Jean Rhys

Today started out pretty great. A trip to Costco with my oldest daughter "cost" more than I had hoped (what else is new, it's Costco) but I loved spending time with her and I did get a great pair of work pants, a yoga tank top and jacket, and yet another copy of Gretchen Rubin's bestselling book The Happiness Project. I keep buying copies of the book (well, I've bought three) and giving them away. Spread a little happiness, figure that can't hurt. It's a great book, a memoir about a year that the author spent "test-driving the wisdom of the ages, current scientific studies, and lessons from popular culture about how to be happier."

Taking care of my self this afternoon had me curled up in my easy chair watching a profoundly moving film, The Prince of Tides with Barbra Streisand and Nick Nolte. It felt like a perfect Sunday afternoon thing to do, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The story is both uplifting and deeply disturbing. As much as I loved the movie, my mood started to crash as soon as it ended. Which, come to think of it, was about the same time that I started resenting that the weekend was almost over. Try as I might, I haven't been able to reclaim any true sense of happiness today.

So what does one do, if one wants to end the weekend on a hopeful note? Why, a Google search for happy thoughts, naturally. 

What did I do before Google?

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."  ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment