Sunday, February 6, 2011

Making and Taking a Vow

In her book Mindfulness and the 12 Steps: Living Recovery in the Present Moment, Thérèse Jacobs-Stewart suggests that we employ the Buddhist practice of creating a four-line verse called a gāthā as a way of asking a higher power to remove our shortcomings. This I can do.

Here's how to do it, adapted from Jacobs-Stewart (p. 104):

1. Open

Here I need to describe the shortcoming or "habituated pattern" that I am asking to be removed. I need to state it specifically and in the present tense. For example:

When I am afraid of running out of time...

2. Acknowledge My Reliance

In this second line, I need to place my needs and concerns in my higher power's care, or in the care of the universe, or whatever works for me. For example:

I vow with the help of my higher power...

3. Let Go of the Old

Next, I state my desire to let go of the root cause of the old behaviour. For example:

To let go of my anxiety and fear...

4. Invite in the New

Finally, I state my aspiration for the virtue or characteristic that I would like to cultivate in place of the defect. For example:

And rest fully and peacefully in the joy of the moment.

Alrighty then. I am going to take this idea for a test drive.

When I am afraid of running out of time...
I vow with the help of my higher power...
To let go of my anxiety and fear...
And rest fully and peacefully in the joy of the moment.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment