Thursday, January 27, 2011

I Forgot to Mention

In addition to wanting to figure out my real purpose in life, I want desperately to be a writer. I write a lot in my professional and academic lives (no, they are not one and the same, but that is a story for another day) but I want to write, and only write, for my living. For now, writing is the newest of my three ongoing careers, and the one that pays the least. Well, okay. It pays nothing. But I believe people when they say "do what you love, and the money will come." I am not in a panic.

It does occur to me as I sit here at 7:30 in the morning that there is a very good likelihood that the money never will come, if I don't finish my writing projects. This space could be a journal of self discovery, and nothing more, if nobody ever follows me. In the same way that I really want people to like me, I really want people to like my writing. On a point of practicality, I know that I need to figure out how to tag my posts to attract people to this blog. But to start, I am fine with talking to myself.

My morning ritual looks something like this, minus the personal toiletry activities: check my work Blackberry, make a cup of tea (creamed earl grey, if you haven't tried it, you are robbing yourself), start worrying about what to wear to the office, and flip open a book of daily meditations or pull a card from an inspirational deck of something or other. Lately I like to pull from a beautifully illustrated deck of Grace cards created by self-care expert Cheryl Richardson. So, here goes.

The card I just picked is "Chance", and it reads:

"Take the leap. Divine protection is always by our side."

Which is kind of fitting. This blog is my leap.

No comments:

Post a Comment